1676 Division of New Jersey – the East West Boundary

Berkeley and Carteret held undivided joint interests in New Jersey as granted by the Duke of York in 1664. In 1676, after seven towns in East Jersey had been established and John Fenick had founded Salem in West Jersey, an East-West dividsion line was projected to divide New Jersey between Sir George Carteret and Lord Berkeley.  In 1687, the original line was surveyed and the following year the northern boundary of New Jersey was settled. In 1702, New Jersey became one state. 

Division of New Jersey East West Boundary